Chef Harrison Keevil of Brookville Restaurant in Charlottesville, Va. shared this recipe.
“This soup changes from bite to bite. It goes from sweet to savory and back,” he said. Strawberries are the main ingredient, so use the best ones you can find.
Hands-On Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6 as an appetizer
- 1½ pounds (about 5 cups) strawberries, hulled
- ¼ cup good-quality white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ cup lightly packed mint leaves, cut into chiffonade
- Crème fraîche, for garnish
What To Do
1. Combine strawberries, vinegar, sugar and salt in a bowl. Refrigerate and let macerate 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes or so.
2. Purée strawberries, vinegar, sugar and salt in a blender. Strain if desired for a seedless soup, but it isn’t necessary.
3. Serve garnished with mint and a dollop of crème fraîche.