Berry Season 101
You can get good-quality berries in most markets now through the end of summer—and raspberries and blackberries last into the fall. But each berry has a slightly different peak season: Strawberries and blueberries are approaching their peaks right now, while blackberries and raspberries are at their very best later in the summer, around August.
Sticky Blackberry Barbecued Pork Ribs
The smallest and most tender pork rib, baby back ribs cook relatively quickly. This jammy, sweet glaze tastes best when you season the finished ribs generously with salt.
Hands-On Time: 1 hour 15 minutes Total Time: 3½ hours
- 2 racks baby back pork ribs (about 2-2½ pounds each)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon hot smoked paprika
- 1¼ cups honey
- ¾ pound (about 2½ cups) blackberries
- ½ cup blackberry preserves
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons bourbon (or whiskey)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons red-pepper flakes
What To Do
1. Flip one rib rack over and insert the tip of a butter knife under tough membrane that covers back of rack. Wiggle knife to loosen membrane. Grab membrane with a paper towel and pull it off. Repeat with remaining rack.
2. At least 1 hour before cooking, mix 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon pepper and smoked paprika in a small bowl. Season ribs very generously on all sides with spice mixture. Let ribs come to room temperature, abou